Jun 16 2009

by Heidi Leon Monges

On being grateful and a cherry clafoutis – De ser agradecido y de un clafoutis de cerezas

clafoutis is a french flan like made with fresh cherries

Gratitude: thanks: a feeling of being thankful to somebody for doing something.

I’m grateful for sunny days and white sandy beaches. Especially on weekends.
I’m grateful for this sweet life I got to live.
I’m so grateful for my family and friends all over the world (yes, that includes you!),
but especially I’m so grateful for my (pastry chef) boyfriend. He makes my sweet life even sweeter. Every day, with endless hugs and lovely (chocolate) kisses.
Sometimes with a clafoutis aux cerises too.

Moroccan peasant style sun hat

cherry stone summer fruit

My amazing boyfriend baked this clafoutis to thank Tante Suzanne for those wonderful big baskets filled with hand-picked cherries she let us *steal* from her cabanon garden. This cherry clafoutis might be the perfect way of saying Merci to those people who has just being there next to you always no matter what, like your life partner or that coworker who always shares the last cookie with you.

I can’t imagine a better way to say merci than with cherries!. And you?. What are you grateful for?. How do you say thank you?.

Oh, forgot. I’m so grateful I’m turning 35 tomorrow ;-)

Cherry clafoutis

Recipe by my frenchie

Makes 1 clafoutis (4 pers)

4 eggs
90 grs sugar
160 grs whipping cream
160 grs whole milk
1 pinch of salt
95 grs of whole wheat flour
65 grs unsalted melted butter
1 kg cherries

Preheat oven to 180 C/ 356 F. Butter and lightly sugar an 11-12 inch baking dish or a shallow pan. Toss in the cherries.
Mix (with a whisk) together the eggs and sugar. Slowly add the flour and salt, mix until smooth.
Slowly add the milk, cream and the melted butter. Whisk until smooth. Pour into the baking dish.
Bake for 35 minutes or until is cooked.

Note: traditional clafoutis have the full cherries, fruit and stone, nowadays people tend to do it without the pit. It’s your call.

Filed under: Recipes

Connect with Facebook

20 Comments

1. heidileon says:

thank you all for your sweet wishes. I did had an amazing birthday.

hugs to you all!

heidi

2. Cumpleanos Feliz! Happy Birthday! I wish for you to lots of love and adventure. Wait, you already have that! :)

3. Sophie says:

MMMMM…your cherry clafoutis looks stunningly beautiful, Heidilon!!

4. Hola! I enjoyed your post. I have become addicted to cherries and recipes like yours make my addiction even worst. Can't wait to try this one! If you don't mind I'd love to direct Foodista readers to your blog. Just add your choice of widget to this post and you're all set!

5. Sylvia says:

Bueno, ya te salude , casi gemela…:)
    Me encanto tu post y por sobretodo lo que decis sobre gratitud.Yo tambien siempre agradezco, mas de lo que pido. El clafoutis esta espectacular , a mi , muy bien no me sale:(
    Besos

6. Just today i was thinking of making something wtih cherries and now I bump into your cherry filled post. It looks gorgeous! Happy birthday! :D

7. Jennifer says:

Happy Birthday :)

That is one beautiful clafoutis!!! Great way to celebrate!

8. Zita says:

Happy belated b'day Heidi, hope you continue to be thankfull with what you have in your life :)

Cherry is one of my favorite fruit, looking at your BF clafoutis makes me crave for one right now:)

9. eliza says:

delicious looking clafoutis! cherries are one of my fave fruits as well.

10. Jo says:

This looks truly, truly delicious and with cherries now in season, it's no better time than to try out a clafoutis.

11. !Feliz cumpleaños para ti! Me encanta tu blog y tus fotografias. Tu clafoutis está divino, es una pena que las cerezas aqui en Brasil estean tán caras… !Gracias por visitarme!

12. Sophie says:

MMMMMM..your cherry clafoutis sounds so amazing & lovely!

Beautiful pictures too, yet again!

13. Happy Birthday! Locally grown sweet cherries are soon to be everywhere around me, so a wonderful recipe like this will make sure they don't go to waste.

I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
    Casey
    Editor

14. Audax says:

Yes it is good to remember to give thanks for the wonder things we have and can experience as Sarah Ban Breathnath says “Both abundance and lack exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend… when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present / love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature and personal pursuits that bring us pleasure / the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience Heaven on earth.”

15. Anonymous says:

Yo estoy agradecida que encontre tu blog. Ademas quiero desearte un muy feliz aniversario al lado de tu dulce chico.

16. heidileon says:

@Jamie, thanks. Yes, I also think
    I'm so blessed.

I love your description about cherries “jewels from heaven”. I might even steal that quote for the future.

@lisaiscooking thank you!.What would be life without fun? I'm also grateful for that!.

17. Beautiful clafoutis, and Happy Birthday to you! I'm grateful for the fun I have every day.

18. Jamie says:

Happy Happy Birthday! You seem to be blessed with all that one could wish for on their birthday.

I do think that cherries are like jewels from heaven and a perfect way to say thank-you or I love you, and doubly so in a clafoutis.

Aromas 'n Sabores is a canvas where we portrait healthy meals with an international spin but using local produces and what we have in our fridge.We aim to inspire your everyday by sharing recipes, travels, discoveries, some plantlove & green beauty.